Whether it be the dead of winter, the middle of a ravenous workday or when presented with an unexpected dinner guest; it is important to have a reliable comfort food recipe on hand. Something requiring minimal preparation, ingredients, and dirty dishes but still produces spectacular results. A trick up your sleeve, a plan B in your back pocket. This is my dearly held sloppy joe recipe that sustained me through many broke weeks in college. Dependable and delicious, I hope you give this easily adaptable recipe a try sometime. Feel free to substitute anything; that’s how I got this ever-changing recipe in the first place!
Trader Joes’s “Just Sauce” Turkey Bolognese
French or Ciabatta Rolls
1/2 Green Bell Pepper
1/3 cup Diced Red Onion
1/2 tablespoon Minced Garlic
Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder
- Put the frozen Bolognese in a sauce pan on medium heat and cover
- Dice Bell Pepper and Red Onion, stirring Bolognese as it begins to defrost and separate
- When Bolognese is completely separated, add Bell Pepper and Red Onion
- As Bell Pepper and Red Onion begin to soften in the sauce, add Minced Garlic, small handful of Shredded Carrots and Salt, Pepper and Garlic Powder to taste
- Toast bread and cover sauce while it completes its final simmer
- Spread thickened sauce onto toasted bun, top with more shredded carrots and enjoy!
Image sourced from ohjoy.blogs.com, Artist unknown